Are Shipping Container Apartments the Future of Student Housing?
For centuries the French capital has been renowned for architecture. Paris has been the laboratory where innovative architects and artists have come to test their ideas. And Paris is no stranger to shipping container apartments.
Personally, I feel that a shipping container apartments make for a bit small of a living space, but near Avenue of Paris, 152 containers were used to build studios apartments for the students of Reims University. The private developer Akerys, worked with a Guangdong, China prefab manufacturer to design, manufacture, ship and construct the project. The 131 studio apartment units have an approx 27 sq. m of floor space, which comes equipped with all finishings, full baths, and kitchens. At the time of construction, the developer aimed to sell each studio for approximately 94,000 euros.
Shipping Container Construction Details:
- Prefab Structure Cost: $398 usd per finished square meter / $37 per square foot
- Shipping: 152 containers @ $1,038 usd per = $157,776 usd – shipping rate checker
- Size: 4,256 square meters / 45,794 square feet
- Number of Apartments: 131
- Per Apartment Value: 94,000 euros
- Manufacture Period: 78 days
- Total Construction Period: 6 months
- Manufactured: Guandong, China
- Final Location: Paris, France
- Developer: Akerys
- Structure Specs: Converted shipping containers
- Features: Installed with full functional finishings
- Completed: August 2014